Tuesday, July 19, 2011

#6 - Wait... Who's the asshole? What makes them an asshole?

 The Conversation

;D I don't understand how we can make it to the moon, build machines that can fly, communicate across miles of land without being next to each other and yet we can't find a common understanding.
=P Because humans suck that badly.
:3 Because all it takes is one asshole to ruin something good that is provided for everyone.
;D Indeed.
:| Have you ever considered that you're an "asshole" in their eyes for ruining, what to them, might be something good and fun?
:3 Maybe. I'll let everyone else decide.
=P Decide what?
:3 If I am an asshole
=P About what?
:3 I don't even know...
:3 About what (:|)?
;D Well, if it helps, you're a whole lot better than my neighbors. <3
:| It wasn't a specific statement geared at anyone.
=P I like the part where you ignored the fact that i considered you might be one
:| It was more a "You [as a collective group] assume people are assholes and trolls because they enjoy something you think isn't fun."
;D Who need to turn their music down. >.>
:3 I'll provide an example. Driving and traffic.
=P Well, i guess (:|) has a point
=P being an "asshole" is all about perspective.
:3 I'm arguing for community resources.
=P Luckly, i only care about MY perspective.
=P So i'll stay out of this discussion =p
:| I wasn't really paying attention to chat. Just making a point.
:3 Got it

My Judgement

I was initially under the impression that the first statement :| made, was directed towards me. My responses to that statement were also meant to be general statements, referring to hypothetical situations, and not the current moment. I didn't communicate that at all. Maybe it's because I thought it was being implied that I am an asshole for calling other assholes, assholes. Which, okay...

I was trying to talk about assholes who decide they want to ruin something useful for everyone else, just because anyone has access to that certain service or resource. Which is why I was trying to bring up driving and traffic (I'm aware it's a really poor example, I just associate assholes with driving). Since there was barely an argument, I didn't bother to think of a better example.

Once :| stated that they weren't paying attention to chat, and was just making a point, I just thought to myself "What a funny way to make that point, especially when you haven't been paying attention."

No comments:

Post a Comment